tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Dec 19 11:16:13 2003

"Star Trek: The Experience" communique (STX)

Voragh:
> >He also used {Hov leng} in the "Star Trek: The Experience"
> >(www.startrekexp.com) opening announcement (7 Nov 1997):
> >   quwargh tach Qe' je qoDDaq Hov leng Soj DatIv
> >   Enjoy Star Trek themed food and drink at Quark's Bar and Restaurant.
> >AFAIK, we've never seen Okrand's correct[ed] version, nor do we know
> >exactly what "errors" he caught.]

Quvar:
>okay. But what you show above looks at least grammatically correct to me,
>so perhaps the "errors" he
>talks about were only changes, or improvements - who knows..

Agreed.  The text is virtually perfect, but for those who want to dissect
it, here's the complete text:

                             **** tlhIngan De' ****

   tera' poH jaj wa', jar wa', jaj loSDIch, DIS wa'-Hut-Hut-chorgh:
HovpoHvetlh latlh nab yIHutlh.
   laS veghaS HIltonDaq <<Hov leng: yIjeSchu'>> qaSchoHmo', bIlopqu'meH
HIlton yIghoS.

    * tera' vatlh DIS poH cha'maH loS bIyIn jeSlaHpa' Hoch
    * DIvI' 'ejDo' 'entepray'Daq Dajollu'
    * loghDaq lupDujHom qoDDaq bIlengtaHvIS, nIbuQbogh novpu' DaSuv
    * quwargh tach Qe' je qoDDaq Hov leng Soj DatIv

   jolbogh ghom wa'DIch DamuvlaHmeH De' DaneHchugh, Se'vam yIjIHtaH.

   Save this Stardate: Sunday, January 4, 1998
   Come celebrate the grand opening of "Star Trek: The Experience" at the
Las Vegas Hilton.

    * Be the first to journey to the 24th century
    * Get beamed aboard the USS Enterprise
    * Battle menacing aliens in a shuttlecraft journey through space
    * Enjoy Star Trek themed food and drink at Quark's Bar and Restaurant

   Stay tuned for information on how you can be among the first to beam aboard!

A couple of observations:

1) note that Okrand has given us a way to refer to Terran dates

2) like most of his translations, the Klingon is not an exact word-for-word
translation (e.g. the bulleted list consists of declarative sentences in
Klingon, but imperatives in English)

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons