tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Dec 17 12:18:57 2003

{Hov leng} canon?

ma'Sa:
> >> "Star Trek VI as canonical" wIlajba'chugh....
> >> "If we accept Star Trek VI as canon....

ngabwI':
> > This is a tough one. I think this is a matter of missing words. (That's why
> > you used all the English, right?) As far as I know, we have no canon word
> > for "canon". I would probably go with a recast: Try saying {qarchugh *Hov
> > leng* jav...} "If Star Trek VI is accurate..."
> >
> > (Please note that {Hov leng} "star travel, voyage, trip" is used often on
> > this list for "Star Trek", but is not canon.)

Actually, it is.  Okrand first used it in a special Klingon issue (#104
[1995]) of "Star Trek Communicator" (the official Paramount-authorized fan
magazine) to translate the name of the magazine itself:

   Hov leng QumwI'
   Star Trek Communicator.

as well as the names of some columns/sections:

   Hov leng ngoDHommey
   Trekbits

   Hov leng De' chu'
   Star Trek Update

   Hov leng QeD
   Treknology

He also used {Hov leng} in the "Star Trek: The Experience"
(www.startrekexp.com) opening announcement (7 Nov 1997):

   quwargh tach Qe' je qoDDaq Hov leng Soj DatIv
   Enjoy Star Trek themed food and drink at Quark's Bar and Restaurant.

   laS veghaS HIltonDaq <<Hov leng: yIjeSchu'>> qaSchoHmo', bIlopqu'meH HIlton
   yIghoS
   Come celebrate the grand opening of "Star Trek: The Experience" at the Las
   Vegas Hilton.

[FYI: This "STX" material has to be used with caution.  taD reported
(5/03/2003):

   "I don't recall ever seeing it told on the list, but the tlhIngan Hol
    translation of the STAR TREK: THE EXPERIENCE COMMUNIQUE is (partially)
    canon ... After Voragh had once mentioned that we never did get definite
    confirmation of who did the translation, I made a mental note to ask
    Marc Okrand at the following qep'a' ... When I asked Okrand if he had
    done the translation, he said yes. However, he added that after he had
    submitted his initial translation, he caught some errors in it, and
    sent a corrected version to the STAR TREK: THE EXPERIENCE people. He
    said that unfortunately, the un-corrected version apparently was the
    one that was printed."

AFAIK, we've never seen Okrand's correct[ed] version, nor do we know
exactly what "errors" he caught.]

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons