tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Dec 05 09:32:14 2003

Re: KLBC 'ejDo'wIj

ma'Sa wrote:
> > ghItlh Voragh:
> >>   'ach may'vo' nupol juHqo'
> >
> > I still don't think {may'vo' pol} works for "keep away from."  In TKW
> we have
> >
> >    may'meyDajvo' Haw'be' tlhIngan
> >    A Klingon does not run away from his battles. TKW
> >
> > but note that here it's referring to motion away from the battle.  {pol}
> > "keep, save, store" refers to a static separation.  We have no word for tie
> > down - though we do have {bagh} "tie" - or restrain, but we do have {muv}
> > "join (physically)" in this line from the Anthem:
> >
> >    batlh maHeghbej 'ej yo' qIjDaq vavpu'ma' DImuv.  pa' reH maSuvtaHqu'
> >    Then we die with honor and join our fathers in the Black Fleet...
> >
> > So how about:
> >
> >    'ach juHqo'mo' may'Daq DImuvlaHbe'
> >    'ach may'Daq DImuvlaHbe' juHqo'mo'
> >
> > *{muvHa'} might also work:
> >
> >    'ach may'Daq DImuvHa' juHqo'mo'
> >
> > Nope; this doesn't really work either, but you can play with the idea. You
> > might also be able to use {rar} "connect, attach" vs. *{rarHa'} and tay'
> > "be together/united" vs. *{tay'Ha'}.
>
>What about:
>
>   maSuvqang 'ach nubagh juHqo'
>   "We are willing to fight but the Homeworld restrains us"
>
>That line has the same number of syllables as the line with which it rhymes
><<DIcharghlaH nuchaw'mo' 'ejDo'.>>, and it goes back to my original idea of
>the Homeworld tying the warrior down, restraining him from the longed for
>battle. What do you think?

Poetic considerations aside, {bagh} "tie" has never been used in canon and
so we have no way of knowing if  in addition to the literal physical sense
(e.g. tie the hands of a prisoner), it can also be used metaphorically for
any type of restraint whatsoever.  IOW: to tie is not necessarily the same
as to tie down.

I think {bot} "prevent, block, prohibit" actually works best; it's been
used only once in a proverb:

   Dubotchugh yIpummoH
   If it's in your way, knock it down. TKW

which refers to taking direct, aggressive action against any kind of obstacle.

{tuch} "forbid" (never used in canon) is another option.

But perhaps I'm being over-cautious since this is, after all, poetry and
poetry is meant to be metaphorical, often in innovative and unusual ways.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level