tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Dec 04 18:46:53 2003

Re: KLBC 'ejDo'wIj

Andrew Marrington ([email protected])

> ghItlh Voragh:
>
> >'ach may'vo' nupol juHqo'
> >
> > > This needs work.  I'm not sure {Xvo' nu'uch} works for the idiomatic
"hold
> > > us from X".  (It's the use of {-vo'} that bothers me.)  Try {bot}
"prevent,
> > > block", {waQ} "obstruct".   Possibly {pol} "keep, save, store" may
also
> > work.
> >
> >I agree, this line needs work. I am trying to create the sense that the
> >homeworld ties the Klingon warrior down, that it restrains him, while he
> >longs for battle. Any suggestions?
>
> I still don't think {may'vo' pol} works for "keep away from."  In TKW we
have

>    may'meyDajvo' Haw'be' tlhIngan
>    A Klingon does not run away from his battles. TKW
>
> but note that here it's referring to motion away from the battle.  {pol}
> "keep, save, store" refers to a static separation.  We have no word for
tie
> down - though we do have {bagh} "tie" - or restrain, but we do have {muv}
> "join (physically)" in this line from the Anthem:
>
>    batlh maHeghbej 'ej yo' qIjDaq vavpu'ma' DImuv.  pa' reH maSuvtaHqu'
>    Then we die with honor and join our fathers in the Black Fleet...
>
> So how about:
>
>    'ach juHqo'mo' may'Daq DImuvlaHbe'
>
>    'ach may'Daq DImuvlaHbe' juHqo'mo'
>
> *{muvHa'} might also work:
>
>    'ach may'Daq DImuvHa' juHqo'mo'
>
> Nope; this doesn't really work either, but you can play with the idea.
You
> might also be able to use {rar} "connect, attach" vs. *{rarHa'} and tay'
> "be together/united" vs. *{tay'Ha'}.

What about:

maSuvqang 'ach nubagh juHqo'

"We are willing to fight but the Homeworld restrains us"

That line has the same number of syllables as the line with which it rhymes
<<DIcharghlaH nuchaw'mo' 'ejDo'.>>, and it goes back to my original idea of
the Homeworld tying the warrior down, restraining him from the longed for
battle. What do you think?

ma'Sa
chu'wI'

Back to archive top level