tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Aug 11 17:13:29 2003

Re: KLBC: The years sometimes teach us what the days never know.

Mark E. Shoulson ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol po'wI']

Says ter'eS:

    I'd just like to say that whoever posted/edited the page
    "transitive causatives" on the KLI Wiki has got a lot of
    nerve. It was posted on the 8th and edited on the 9th;
    coming as it does in the midst of an unresolved and
    heated discussion of that topic on this list, the Wiki
    article has all the earmarks of a preemptive strike.
    History is written by the victors, or by the first person
    to get the the Wiki homepage, huh?

    The article reduces the many words that have
    been written on this topic (both now and in the past)
    into the skimpiest of explanations, all with a barely
    disguised bias towards one interpretation and totally
    devoid of any of the nuances of the discussion.

    I realize the Wiki is open to everyone, but this
    to me shows a lot of presumption and very little
    discretion on someone's part.

    -- ter'eS

Well, yes and no.  In a way, this is what the Wiki is for: for arguments
to happen there and be written there in a more "timeless" fashion than
the give-and-take of mail messages.  That way the whole discussion is
there in one place, not "check the archives three years ago..."

The Wiki *is* open to everyone--including you.  You definitely should
edit the page and make sure that your opinion is represented properly.
Note that this holds for everyone, but not at the expense of other
people's writing.  The wiki *should* contain pages on controversial
subjects: that's why it's there.  And those pages should show the
various opinions.  We're not going "resolve" anything, here or on the
wiki; we're not going to declare a winner or loser.  We want to make the
choices available so future thinkers don't have to repeat the work and
can use what others learned to form their own opinions.

~mark

Back to archive top level