tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed May 13 14:47:48 1998

Re: betleH (KLBC but also a ? for everyone)

According to Steven Boozer:

> : > ja' Qov:
> : > >For the object of a search, {Sam} is a better tranlation of find.  The word
> : > >{tu'} is find, observe, as in "one finds it unseasonably hot this
> year," not
> : > >"I have to find a betleH."
> : >
> : > teHba'be' ngoDHeyvam.  jIHvaD 'angpu' HoD Qanqor.  TKD p171:
> : > {QumwI'wIj vItu'laHbe'} "I can't find my communicator."
> : >
> : > -- ghunchu'wI'
> :
> : 'ach *addendum* chenmoHpa' *Okrand*, chovnatlhvam chenmoH
> : *Okrand* 'ej *addendum* Dab <Sam>. ghaytan chovnatlhvam
> : chenmoHDI' *Okrand* mu' <Sam> tu'be'lu'.
> :
> : maQochbe' jIH Qov je.
> :
> : charghwI'
>
> Sam  "locate, seek and find" (v):
>
>   HaqwI''e' DaH yISam
>   Find the SURGEON now! TKD

Note that this is the earliest use of the word in canon, and it
is in the addendum, just like its definition. It helps to note
the page number. In this case, page 180.
> tu'  "discover, find; observe, notice" (v)
>
>   QumwI'wIj vItu'laHbe'
>   I can't find my communicator. TKS

Argh! I thought the list of "useful" expressions came BEFORE
the addendum. I do suspect, considering some of the details
therein, that these examples were written before the words and
grammar of the addendum were created. It would be interesting
to note whether any words or grammar from the addendum can be
found among the "useful phrases". Hmmm...

I just scanned through it and I think every word and every
grammatical construction in the "Useful Phrases" part of the
addendum are listed in the original TKD, pre-addendum. Again, I
suggest that this example was written before Okrand
"discovered" the word {Sam}.

>   Qu'vaD lI' net tu'bej
>   One certainly finds it useful for the mission.
>   One will certainly observe that it is useful to the mission. TKD
>
>   reH HIvje'lIjDaq 'Iwghargh Datu'jaj
>   May you always find a bloodworm in your glass! PK
>
>   lI' 'e' Datu'
>   You will find it useful. PK
>
>   Qu'vaD lI' net tu'bej
>   You will find it useful. ST3
>
>   <... yItu'>
>   [untranslated] ST6

None of these later example involve searching. All later
examples involving any sense of searching use {Sam}.

> Voragh

charghwI'

Back to archive top level