tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jul 15 13:27:43 1998

Re: KLBC - pabwIj vIlughmoH 'ej mu'tlheghmey chu' vIqon

---Burt Clawson  wrote:

> KLBC - pabwIj vIlughmoH 'ej mu'tlheghmey chu' vIqon
>
> 'oy'naQDaj chu'nISba' Qov vaj muHupqa'laHtaH.  reH jIQaghlaw'
jIqonDI'.
> "Qov clearly needs to warm up her painstick so she can start
punishing me
> again.  I always make mistakes when I write."

Qaghmeymo' neH taghwI' vIbIjbe'.  Qagh nIb ta'taHchugh yajlaHlaw'bogh
taghwI', vIbuQ, 'ej Qaghvetlh vIleghqa'DI' chaq 'oy'naQ vIlo'.  not
Sovbe'wI' yajbe'wI' joq vImup.  buDwI', yepHa'wI' qoj vIHup.

When you say in English "so she can start punishing me" you are
actually giving the purpose (expressed with /-meH/), not the
consequence (expressed with /vaj/) of the stick-warming.  My ability
to start punishing you is neither a consequence of nor something you
conclude from my need to warm up the painstick.  Does this make sense?

'oy'naQ ghaj Qov vaj mujoy'laH.
"Qov has a painstick, so she can torture me."
or
"Qov has a painstick, thus she can torture me."
This means that as a result of having a painstick, I have the ability
to torture you.  It doesn't imply I keep the painstick for your benefit.

mujoy'meH Qov, 'oy'naQ ghaj
"Qov has a painstick so she can torture me"
or
"Qov has a painstick in order to be able to torture me."
This one means that I have the painstick for the purpose of being able
to torture you.

> > You've caught me out on a new vocabulary word I'm uncertain of.  Is
> > /pIl/ "inspire" or "be inspired"?
> >

> /pIl/  "be stimulated, be inspired, be motivated"

qatlho'.  jIHvaD mu' chu' DaQIjta'.

> > Sovbe'law' pagh, 'ach DaSov'a'?
> >

> ghobe'.  Sov'a' jupma' pagh'e'?  "No.  Does our friend Pagh know?"

Hmm.  Please answer this.  Why did you put /-'e'/ on /pagh/?  Do you
believe it is required there?  It's not necessarily wrong, it's just
that you use /-'e'/ a lot and I want to make sure you know what you
are doing with it.

==
Qov - Beginners' Grammarian