tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jul 10 15:16:20 1998

Re: Okrand on {yIH ngaghwI'} (PG13)

Besides being a hilarious insult from our perspective, (given
your avoidance of translating {yIH ngaghwI'} as "tribble
f**ker", which is OBVIOUSLY what you were getting at, we have to
remember that a Klingon may respond to this with simple
bewilderment. Tribbles are rather small, you see, and there are
logistical problems with the concept of {yIH ngaghwI'}. Klingons
don't like tribbles, so they can figure you are probably trying
to insult them, but then, you might as well call them a
{pu'ghIch ngaghwI'}. The logistical problems would be about the
same.

The verb {ngagh} clearly does carry some of the same insulting
connotations, given the known {targhlIj yIngargh!} canon we do
have. Still, I think we stretch our understanding of the concept
to assume that calling someone a {targh ngaghwI'} would be an
insult relating to {targhlIj yIngargh!}.

Meanwhile, if you use {yIH ngaghwI'}, for all we know, you'd get
laughed at. Or killed. Or both. It is a rather strange concept,
after all. I mean, at least with a targh, it is physically
possible, though it reportedly requires a rare combination of
skill, care, determination and perverse interest to pull it off.
I, for one, would not mess with anyone who accomplished the
task. For several reasons.

I don't know. It just doesn't seem like the right crowd to hang
out with. But {yIH ngaghwI'pu'}... It boggles the mind.

I'd just call the Klingon a taHqeq and be done with it. That
should get you a good fist fight, if that's what you are looking
for. Klingons may approach insults the way they approach jokes.
The old ones work find and they might not appreciate new ones
you consider to be very clever.

charghwI'

On Thu, 9 Jul 1998 11:05:32 -0700 (PDT) Steven Boozer
<[email protected]> wrote:

> As if on cue, it seems we have another example of Klingon epithet. Too bad
> Okrand didn't translate the entire line of dialogue so we can see how
> they're used in *Klingon* sentences.

Back to archive top level