tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jul 09 10:57:56 1998

Okrand on {ghIqtal}

---------------------  Begin Forwarded Message  ---------------------

From: "Marc Okrand" <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: startrek.expertforum
Subject: Re: Marc Okrand--apologies to all.
Date: Tue, 7 Jul 1998 23:49:04 -0400

Patrick Goodman wrote...
>> IIRC, and I usually do, "gik'tal" means "to-the-death" and
>> doesn't really exist, Worf made it up.
>
> Gik'tal (sp?, Klingonists?) does exist, as I understood it; it was
> the ritual that Worf performed with Ens. Seto that he made up.

/ghIqtal/ means "to the death" in an archaic form of Klingon.  It survives
as an exclamation, something that you'd probably just shout out (or snarl)
at the start of or in the throes of battle or a duel.

Voragh                          "Grammatici certant et adhuc sub judice
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons    lis est."        - Horace, Ars Poetica

Back to archive top level