tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jul 08 09:53:58 1998

RE: KLBC: Dap 'ach pab

ghItlh pagh:

>> 'IH jaj, qar'a'?
>romuluS ghoqwI' DaDa. chaq qaHoHnIS.
>
>> ;-)
monwI'wIj Daleghbe'law'

>> chaq mu'tlheghmey SaS tu'lu, chaq Dun 'op
>typo: don't forget the <'> on the <-lu'>. Also, a style note: to make your
>sentences more parallel, I suggest the following: <chaq SaS 'op
>mu'tlheghmey; chaq chong 'op>.
{'op mu'mey} = "some words" ?
I didn't know that.

>The verb <ghoS> includes the <-Daq> idea, so [...]
Do you know the book "The grammarians Desk"?
There's an interesting Article on {ghoS}...

>maj. pIj jIjatlh'egh je. Did you mean to say the people you see are
>scattered all about? That's what the plural suffix <-mey> means when applied
>to people. If not, you need to use <-pu'>: <ghotpu' law' vIlegh.> Also, for
>"Do you know ...", consider the slightly more descriptive "Have you met ..."
>using <qIH>.
{ghotpu'} of course.
Does {Sov} also have the double meaning of "know"?
In German, and in French, there are two words for "know": "wissen" &
"kennen"; "savoir" & "connaitre"

>..., and <mI'QeD> is generally used for mathematics.
... ah, okay.

>> - De'wI'QeD paq
Informatics

>> - DIvI' Hol paq
English

>> - yInQeD paq
Biology

>> - HatlhQeD paq
>nuq 'oH HatlhQeD'e'?
Geography. bIlugh. mughlu'meH ngeDbe' mu'vam.

>> - verengan Hol paq
>> (mu' *French* rur mu' *Ferengie*)
>'ach verengan Hol rurbe'bej *French* Hol. pongna' yIlo' pagh verengan Hol
>yIghoj.
Well, there's a little kind of "pun" behind that. *French* Hol
ghojmoHwI'wI' vIpar. par Hoch. moHqu'mo' verengan vIpong.

>QeD 'oHbe'. Hol 'oH. 'ej mu'tlheghlIj Qav vIyajchu'be'. Are you trying to
>say you need to repeat year number twelve? I don't know what that means.
In Germany there are thirteen years at school (like sophomore, junior,
senior.)
I am in twelveth grade. Because I failed in two of my classes (German and
Chemistry) I need to do my twelfth grade over again. Do'Ha'. So I won't
graduate in 1999 but in 2000.

>In any case, remember your suffix order. <-nIS> is type two, so it comes
>before <qa'>, which is type three: <... vIta'nISqa'>.
I've been struggling with this {-nIS} very often.
I keep thinking it should be:
{vIta'} - I accomplish it
{vIta'qa'} - I accomplish it again
*vIta'qa'nIS* - I need to accomplish it again
blrp.
{-nIS} is 2, {-qa'} is 3. I'll write that on my bIrchoHwI'!

>> - qunQeD paq
>Just <qun>
Isn't that the "science of history", or do I misunderstand something?

>> tagh leSmeH poH (=vacation).
>Consider <leSpoH> - "shore leave". <leSmeH poH> certainly works, though.
Since I am not english, I didn't know that word. Than I came up with
{leSmeH poH}

>> Hogh veb vulqanDaq maghIQ jIH
>> SoSwI' vavwI' be'nI' je.
>vulqan DaghoSlaH'a' jay'? teH'a'?
ghobe'. *Greece* wIghoS. 'ach because they have a culture which made me
think of the Vulcans, I called it vulqan.

>And whose sister is she? If she's yours, you need <be'nI'wI'>.
>Otherwise, you need to rearrange a bit or add some commas.
My mind was confused by the
vav...wI'
SoS...wI'
be'...nI'
You see?

>> macheghDI' veng wa'DIchDaq wa' jar jIvumnIS.
>Again, you need a verb for the duration <wa' jar>: <qaStaHvIS wa' jar veng
>wa'DIchDaq jIvumnIS>.
Actually, I am going to Belgium, where I am born.

>> {maleghchuqqangqa'}
>> "we are again willing to see us each other"
Again, I want to see you (I saw you many times before)

>> {maleghchuqqa'qang}
>> "we are willing to see us each other again"
I want to see you again (I only saw you once)

>Note that your English
>sentences mean pretty much the same thing anyway.
But not _exactly_ the same thing...

>pagh
>Temporary Beginners' Grammarian

muHwI'