tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jul 08 19:04:39 1998

RE: KLBC: Dap 'ach pab

mjuang muHwI':

> >> 'IH jaj, qar'a'?
> >romuluS ghoqwI' DaDa. chaq qaHoHnIS.
> >
> >> ;-)
> monwI'wIj Daleghbe'law'
vIlegh, 'ach vIbuSHa'. rut tlhIngan vIDa 'ej jIvaQ.

> {ghotpu'} of course.
> Does {Sov} also have the double meaning of "know"?
> In German, and in French, there are two words for "know":
> "wissen" & "kennen"; "savoir" & "connaitre"
The truth is we don't know. Most people here use it both ways, but it may
well be incorrect.

> >..., and <mI'QeD> is generally used for mathematics.
> .. ah, okay.
>
> >> - De'wI'QeD paq
> Informatics
Well, here we'd call it computer science.

> >> - DIvI' Hol paq
> English
>
> >> - yInQeD paq
> Biology
>
> >> - HatlhQeD paq
> >nuq 'oH HatlhQeD'e'?
> Geography. bIlugh. mughlu'meH ngeDbe' mu'vam.
yInIDqa'. qechlIj veb vIloS.

> >> - verengan Hol paq
> >> (mu' *French* rur mu' *Ferengie*)
> >'ach verengan Hol rurbe'bej *French* Hol. pongna' yIlo'
> > pagh verengan Hol yIghoj.
> Well, there's a little kind of "pun" behind that. *French* Hol
> ghojmoHwI'wI' vIpar. par Hoch. moHqu'mo' verengan vIpong.
bIval.

> >> - qunQeD paq
> >Just <qun>
> Isn't that the "science of history", or do I misunderstand something?
I don't know about German, but in English, history is a thing that can be
studied, recorded, etc. We don't really consider a "science of history".

> >> tagh leSmeH poH (=vacation).
> >Consider <leSpoH> - "shore leave". <leSmeH poH> certainly
> >works, though.
> Since I am not english, I didn't know that word. Than I came
> up with {leSmeH poH}
As you learn Klingon, you will start to know what words are in the
vocabulary, even before you know all the words. This is quite helpful in
tracking them down.

> >> {maleghchuqqangqa'}
> >> "we are again willing to see us each other"
> Again, I want to see you (I saw you many times before)
>
> >> {maleghchuqqa'qang}
> >> "we are willing to see us each other again"
> I want to see you again (I only saw you once)

I didn't get that distinction from either the English or the Klingon.

> >Note that your English
> >sentences mean pretty much the same thing anyway.
> But not _exactly_ the same thing...

Well, the difference is so subtle that it is probably impossible to capture
simply while translating. For an example in the other direction, consider
the difference between <jIvumtaH> and <jIvumlI'>. The English would probably
come out the same for those two sentences most of the time.

pagh
Temporary Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level