tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jan 09 09:11:25 1998

Re: Phantom words in KGT

According to Alan Anderson:

> ja' ter'eS:
> >I've noticed a few words in the dictionary of KGt which I can't
> >find anywhere else.  I don't recall seeing the word {mebpa'mey} 'hotel',
> >for example, used in any previous work or in KGT itself.
>
> I wonder about this word.  It's got a {-mey} on it, but it's defined as
> a singular "hotel".  Is it an inherently plural noun that is grammatically
> treated as singular?

I would instead expect that it is that Klingon has a name for a
"guest room", but has no name for the building that lots of
guest rooms are part of, so to refer to the building, you use
the plural of the term for "guest room". It would be
grammatically plural in Klingon, even though it is
grammatically singular in English.

> -- ghunchu'wI'

charghwI'

Back to archive top level