tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jan 08 19:20:10 1998

Re: Phantom words in KGT

ja' ter'eS:
>I've noticed a few words in the dictionary of KGt which I can't
>find anywhere else.  I don't recall seeing the word {mebpa'mey} 'hotel',
>for example, used in any previous work or in KGT itself.

I wonder about this word.  It's got a {-mey} on it, but it's defined as
a singular "hotel".  Is it an inherently plural noun that is grammatically
treated as singular?

>Two other very intriguing words are {lat} 'shrine' and {jatyIn} 'spiritual
>possession'!  Was there perhaps a KGT chapter on Klingon beliefs that
>got cut from the final draft, and these two words got missed in the
>editing?

As soon as I saw {lat}, I thought of a place called "Shrine of the message."
{jatyIn} is from the TNG episode "Power Play" where Data, Troi, and O'Brien
are possessed by "spirits" from a prison planet.  Worf described it as "the
taking of the living by the dead" or something like that.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level