tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jan 09 09:01:01 1998

Re: DIS chu' Quch

According to David Trimboli:

In English, and apparently in Klingon, we use the term "be
cold" to refer to either non-sentient items having a low
temperature or to sentient beings feeling discomfort because of
an environment with low temperature. I doubt that, in Klingon,
"be happy" means either for a sentient being to be in a
positive emotional state or also to be a period of time during
which a sentient being is in a happy state. The English is just
too idiomatic for me to expect the same idiom to carry across
into this other langauge.

> Similarly, we don't KNOW that {Quch} can't be stretched in a like manner.
> I'm with you in thinking that it probably doesn't, but I'm not saying it
> CANNOT, and so I voiced my opinion on the subject and then let it rest, to
> get on with the grammar.

I don't think we do beginners service by allowing them to so
easily dismiss our valid concerns about idiomatic use of verbs.

> >I think we need to say what we mean instead of just translating
> >words. Yes, we say, "Happy New Year!", but what we mean is, "May
> >you be happy in this New Year!" I don't care if the grammar is
> >correct. The message is gibberish.
>
> And since others were giving all sorts of alternatives simultaneously to my
> message, and since I've been telling people how to translate "Happy New
> Year" for several years now, I just left it to others to give their
> alternatives.  I didn't feel like repeating them.  I was not accepting the
> message, just the grammar.
>
> SuStel
> Stardate 98021.1

charghwI'