tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jan 07 10:26:54 1998

Re: Phantom words in KGT

ter'eS wrote:
: I've noticed a few words in the dictionary of KGT which I can't
: find anywhere else.  I don't recall seeing the word {mebpa'mey} 'hotel',
: for example, used in any previous work or in KGT itself.

I wonder if this was a word he didn't use in the CK scene where the Terran
checks into the hotel on Kronos. Or maybe he realized he needed it after the
fact. Some people have been using {*mebjuH} on the List and {*mebqach} on
KEVE, which we can now retire.

: Two other very intriguing words are {lat} 'shrine' and {jatyIn} 'spiritual
: possession'!  Was there perhaps a KGT chapter on Klingon beliefs that
: got cut from the final draft, and these two words got missed in the
: editing?

If by {lat} Okrand means the portable box containing a statuette of Kahless,
then we've seen one from time to time in Worf's quarters on TNG. KGT is full
of names for Klingon things we've seen all along in the television episodes.
I don't have the book with me now, but I think there's a nice picture of it
in TKW. If this is a {lat}, then it would seem to refer to a household
shrine or altar (cf. the Roman lararium which contained small statuettes of
the household gods) and not a small, roadside {chIrgh} "temple".

{jatyIn} comes from the TNG episode "Power Play". *jat'yIn* [sic] is defined
in the Okudas' _ST Encyclopedia_ as "the taking of the living by the dead."

Voragh

Back to archive top level