tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Dec 08 13:18:03 1998

Re: Fw: walls

toH! Hoch mu'mey chu' Dagherta''a'? jIHvaD tetlh Danobqang'a'?
*poster*vam Hal vISamta' 'ach wej vISuqta'. tugh *poster*vam
vISuq 'ach Qu'vam Data'ta'chugh nom mavanglaH. DowIj DaDublaH.

charghwI' 'utlh

On Tue, 8 Dec 1998 11:06:20 -0800 (PST) Steven Boozer
<[email protected]> wrote:

> : From: Marc Okrand <mokrand@>
> :
> : A <tlhoy'> "interior wall" need not be vertical.  In a
> : multistory structure, the stories are separated by what
> : Klingon architects and builders call a <tlhoy' SaS>
> : "horizontal wall" (<tlhoy'> "interior wall," <SaS> "be
> : horizontal").  The side of this "wall" which is the bottom
> : of the upper story is the <rav> "floor"; the side which is
> : the top of the lower story is the <rav'eq> "ceiling" [...]
> : <rav> "floor" is also used for the floor of a room on
> : ground level (or a basement floor, for that matter), even
> : though there is no corresponding <rav'eq> and no <tlhoy'
> : SaS>.
>
> I just got the "Klingon Bird of Prey" cutaway poster (KBP) last night.
> Klingons seem to distinguish between "floors" (rav) in a building and "decks"
> (choQ) in a ship:
>
>   cha' vI' vagh choQmey lutoghlu'
>   Number of Decks:  2.5
>
>   cha' choQmey naQ tu'lu' 'ej tep choQ bIngDaq lo' law' bID choQ tu'lu'
>   2 Full Decks and a Half Utility Deck unter the Cargo Deck
>
> This is another new word.  We don't know whether the various terms for walls
> are also used on ships for "bulkhead" (a special type of wall), or if they
> have
> a special naval words.  Ditto for {rav'eq} to refer to the shipboard
> "overhead".  Which set of terms they would use for a space station (like
> DS9) -
> something which is much larger and more permanent than a ship - is anyone's
> guess.  BTW, we are told in TKW (p. 33 I think), that the Klingons do indeed
> have a native sea-faring tradition on the Homeworld, so it is not surprising
> that they have developed specialized terminology for things nautical.

> Voragh                            "Grammatici certant et adhuc sub judice
> Ca'Non Master of the Klingons      lis est."         Horace (Ars Poetica)

Back to archive top level