tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Dec 08 10:59:41 1998

Re: Fw: walls

: From: Marc Okrand <mokrand@>
:
: A <tlhoy'> "interior wall" need not be vertical.  In a
: multistory structure, the stories are separated by what
: Klingon architects and builders call a <tlhoy' SaS>
: "horizontal wall" (<tlhoy'> "interior wall," <SaS> "be
: horizontal").  The side of this "wall" which is the bottom
: of the upper story is the <rav> "floor"; the side which is
: the top of the lower story is the <rav'eq> "ceiling" [...]
: <rav> "floor" is also used for the floor of a room on
: ground level (or a basement floor, for that matter), even
: though there is no corresponding <rav'eq> and no <tlhoy'
: SaS>.

I just got the "Klingon Bird of Prey" cutaway poster (KBP) last night.
Klingons seem to distinguish between "floors" (rav) in a building and "decks"
(choQ) in a ship:

  cha' vI' vagh choQmey lutoghlu'
  Number of Decks:  2.5

  cha' choQmey naQ tu'lu' 'ej tep choQ bIngDaq lo' law' bID choQ tu'lu'
  2 Full Decks and a Half Utility Deck unter the Cargo Deck

This is another new word.  We don't know whether the various terms for walls
are also used on ships for "bulkhead" (a special type of wall), or if they
have
a special naval words.  Ditto for {rav'eq} to refer to the shipboard
"overhead".  Which set of terms they would use for a space station (like
DS9) -
something which is much larger and more permanent than a ship - is anyone's
guess.  BTW, we are told in TKW (p. 33 I think), that the Klingons do indeed
have a native sea-faring tradition on the Homeworld, so it is not surprising
that they have developed specialized terminology for things nautical.

Voragh                            "Grammatici certant et adhuc sub judice
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons      lis est."         Horace (Ars Poetica)

Back to archive top level