tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Dec 08 11:51:02 1998

Re: Fw: walls

On Tue, 8 Dec 1998 11:06:20 -0800 (PST) Steven Boozer
<[email protected]> wrote:
> I just got the "Klingon Bird of Prey" cutaway poster (KBP) last night.
> Klingons seem to distinguish between "floors" (rav) in a building and "decks"
> (choQ) in a ship:
>
>   cha' vI' vagh choQmey lutoghlu'
>   Number of Decks:  2.5
>
>   cha' choQmey naQ tu'lu' 'ej tep choQ bIngDaq lo' law' bID choQ tu'lu'
>   2 Full Decks and a Half Utility Deck unter the Cargo Deck

Is that really canon? No typos here? If so, this last sentence
is very... interesting.

Starting from the left:

There are two full decks and ... then things collapse.

tep choQ - cargo deck

tep choQ bIngDaq - At the area below the cargo deck

tep choQ bIngDaq lo' - Maybe {lo'} is a verb or a noun. Can't
tell.

tep choQ bIngDaq lo' law' - Many uses at the area below the
cargo deck? Maybe {lo'law'}? Apparently use (something) at the
area below the cargo deck?

tep choQ bIngDaq lo' law' bID choQ tu'lu'...

Ummm. Starting at the right, I see "There is a half deck." I can
reconcile that with "There are two full decks and... there is a
half deck. What am I supposed to do with {tep choQ bIngDaq lo'
law'} stuffed in the middle?

Looking at the English translation, I see "under the cargo
deck", so I can now absorb {tep choQ bIngDaq}. But what is {lo'
law'} doing? {tu'lu'} is already the main verb for that clause,
so {lo'} must be a noun phrase meaning "many uses". Meanwhile,
what is that noun phrase doing? It doesn't appear in the English
translation. It is not the direct object of {tu'lu'}. "There is
a half deck of many uses"? Eeeeeeewwwwww!

> Voragh                            "Grammatici certant et adhuc sub judice
> Ca'Non Master of the Klingons      lis est."         Horace (Ars Poetica)

charghwI' 'utlh

Back to archive top level