tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Apr 22 04:07:31 1998

Re: vIghro'mey

>>> vIghro'mey yIbuQQo'     tojmo' De'wI'lIjDaq porghbIQ lulIng
>>> [Bruce Graham]
>>
>>  <tojmo'> vIyajchu'be'. <tojmeH> DaHech'a'?
> ghobe'     {tojmo'} vIHechbej.

Is the deception the cause of the action or the purpose of it?
It doesn't make sense to me as the cause. It does make sense to
me as the purpose. If anything, the action seems to be the cause
of the deception. In order to trick you; for the purpose of
tricking you, this action takes place. Because he tricks you the
action takes place? It just doesn't sound right. Because he does
the action, he tricks you. That sounds strange, but closer to
being accurate.

>>> SanIDmey ben joHHompu' chaH vIghro'pu''e' 'e' vanlu'
>>
>> jImIS. roD <'e' vanlu'> tamnIS <net van>, 'ach naDev <net van>
>> vIyajbe'.
>>
>> vaghSanIDben joHHompu' chaHlaw'mo' vIghro'pu''e' luvanlu'.
> jIQochbe'     qaq {net van}; qaqb'e {'e' vanlu'}.

Do they salute that the cats are minor lords, or do they salute
the cats which are minor lords?

>  > Ha'DIbaH Subbe' bIH vIghro'mey'e' 'ej ropchoHlaH
>  > 'ach not QonglaHbe'bogh vIghro' vIqIH [Jospeh Wood Krutch]
>>
>>  jImISqa'. wot DIp ghap DalaH mu' <bIH>. naDev wot Dalaw' 'ach
>>  wot Dachugh vaj cha' wot'a' ghaj mu'tlheghvam. DIp Dachugh <bIH>
>>  vaj mu'tlhegh vIyajlaHbe' je.
>
> jIQoch.   DIp {Ha'DIbaH} poQbe' mojaq {-mey}.  Klingon nouns
>may be plural without pluralizing markers.

That's not my point. In your sentence, it is not clear whether
you are using {bIH} as a noun or as a verb. It appears to be
used as a verb, since the noun following it has {-'e'}, but if
it is being used as a verb, you seemed to have two main verbs
again, since {Subbe'} initially appeared to be a main verb as
well. I now see that this was my error. Placing {-be'} on an
adjectival verb is legal, but rather uncommon and since I was
getting a bit tired, I mistakenly thought it was being used as a
verb and not as an adjective.

HIvqa' veqlargh.

> Thanks for reading and commenting.  This helps not only me but the other
> readers on this listserv.

That's why I do it. I remember that as a beginner, I had a great
deal of difficulty differentiating between that which was
correct and that which was not, so I consumed a lot of time
wrestling with that which was incorrect.

When Krankor had me translate his words for the list for a month
because he refused to write in English for that entire time, my
skills took off quite a bit, since Krankor's prose was generally
correct and very clearly stated.

> peHruS

charghwI'

Back to archive top level