tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Apr 22 04:53:01 1998

I-us prefix

"Svante", "Sven" puqloD, "von Erichsen" tuq jIH.
"Germany"ngan jIH.
"IRC"Daq "Harlekin" 'oH pongwIj'e'.
pong 'oH net ghovlaHqu'mo' naDev 'oH vIlo' je.

At this point I'd like to bring up a little problem we stumbled upon
while diskussing in IRC (#klingon - you're all welcome }:)
I'll paste in a short part:

  <Harlekin> Have you ever thought of a verb prefix I-us?
  <Harlekin> 'I can see us (on the security monitor)'
      <****> jIHDaq maH leghlaH jIH, if there's danger of ambiguity
  <Harlekin> doesn't leghlaH need some prefix?
      <****> of course, but the prefix for I-us is nothing.
  <Harlekin> read the table on p. 33 carefully - is there a '0' or a
'-'?
      <****> oops.

I think you got the problem - there is no prefix noted in TKD for I-us,
and there
is no Type 1 verb suffix workaround either.

In my opinion this seldom used prefix was forgotten in TKD (perhaps due
to the symmetry of the table).
Also, I think a construction like 'I see you and I see me' is somewhat
awkward,
because I think for one meaning there should be one sentence.

Anyway, perhaps someone should consult Marc Okrand and publish his
answer.

Harlekin

Back to archive top level