tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Apr 17 08:08:43 1998

Re: KLBC - What do I do

At 06:20 98-04-17 -0700, Kaylos wrote:
}How would I say "What do I do". I know the word act/take action ( vang )
}but I don't believe that is truly getting the point across. For example:
}
}chay' jIvang
}How do I act?

I'd say you've answered your own question.  Remember that {vang} isn't "act"
in the sense of "behave" so {chay' jIvang} isn't so much "how do I act?" as
"how do I take action?"  i.e. "what action do I take?"  I'm picturing
someone who has just come on board a sailboat and can see that there is a
lot of work to do, but doesn't know how to sail.  {chay' jIvang} works
perfectly there.  Or if he's asking for orders, {chay' chora'} "how do you
command me?"  Also {chay' jIvangnIS} "what action should I take?"

}I thought about using "what" ( nuq ) but that is supposed to fit in the
}sentence where the answer would go. If I use ( vang ) it appears to be
}intransitive and if so then there is no object, so no place for "what". I
}think.

Good analysis.

}Along the same lines I believe that the following does work
}
}chay' vIQaH 'e' vISovbe'vIp
}I'm afraid that I don't know how to help.

The English "Im afraid I don't know ..." doesn't translate into Klingon.
There's practically a cultural taboo on saying "I'm afraid" so they wouldn't
say it just to ask how to help.

There's also a controversy over using using question words in the SAO
context the way you have, and {vISovbe'vIp} translates as "I'm afraid to not
know..."
And as there's no object for {QaH}, you need {jI-} not {vI-}.  So it doesn't
work.

How about {jIQaHlaH'a'} "Can I help?"
{chay' jIQaHlaH} "How can I help?"
{HIra'} "Command me."
{nuq vIta'nIS} "What do I need to accomplish?"

Do these translate the meaning you are after?  Or do you have another
context in mind?

Qov     [email protected]
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level