tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Apr 17 08:08:43 1998

Re: [petaq]

At 02:55 98-04-17 -0700, petaq@freemail wrote:
}
}I've send in a couple of enries already but I never really got around to
introducing myself. So here I go (or rather try ):
}
}roy ghIlen jIH.
}*Netherlands*ngan jIH.
}*Posterholt*Daq  'oH juHwIj'e'.
}*Limburg provence*Daq   vengHomqu' 'oH *Posterholt*'e'

I remember making this mistake myself when ghunchu'wI' was BG.  {-qu'} is an
intensifier for verbs only.  You mustn't use it on nouns.  Say {vengHom
mach} "a small village" or {vengHom machqu'} "a really small village."

}*Sittard*Daq DuSaQwIj.

This sentence no verb.  For all these sentences where you are saying where
something is situated, there is another choice of verb besides the pronoun
as to be.  This sentence could be:

{S.Daq 'oH DuSaQwIj'e'} or {S.Daq DuSaQwIj tu'lu'}

Read about {tu'lu'} in section 4.2.5.

}cha'maH ben jIboghpu'.
}mu' QujwI' vIpong'egh.

This one runs into an old problem with {pong}.  When the {'egh} suffix is
used, the no object prefix must be used, or so says the dictionary.  But if
{mu' QujwI'} is what you name yourself, then the object prefix must be used.
So you're stuck.  Use one of the other forms of stating a name.

}I'm happy I'm finally learning some thlIngan vocabulary now. My Dictionary
is starting to fall apart by now !

Here's a trick: put an elastic band around your dictionary.  before you
allow yourself to look up a word, force yourself to guess it.  You'll be
surprised how often you really know the word and you're just being lazy.  If
you ever find yurself knowing that the word is something like "on the bottom
of a left hand page,"  but you can't remember the word, you shouild probably
put the dictionary in the fridge, so you REALLY have to think about it
before reaching for it.  The words are ONLY three letters long.  If you can
remember where they are on the page you can remember a vowel and two consonants.

Qermaq's vocabulary drill is great, too.  Try it also for finding things
like all the three letter words that start with {'o-} or end in {-Ij}.

Qov     [email protected]
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level