tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Apr 20 13:13:43 1998

Re: KLBC - What do I do

Date:	Fri, 17 Apr 1998 08:06:05 -0700
From:	Qov <[email protected]>
To:	[email protected]
Subject:	Re: KLBC - What do I do

>}chay' vIQaH 'e' vISovbe'vIp
>}I'm afraid that I don't know how to help.

>There's also a controversy over using using question words in the SAO
context the way you have, and {vISovbe'vIp} >translates as "I'm afraid to
not know..."
Yes I am aware of the controversy (and like everyone else have my opinion).
 For this particular instance if you do not mind lets go with it or just
drop the ( chay' ) for now.
>And as there's no object for {QaH}, you need {jI-} not {vI-}.  So it
doesn't work.
>Do these translate the meaning you are after?  Or do you have another
context in mind?

They were all go but I'm missing the context.  Picture a situation where a
crisis has occurred. You feel the desire to help or assist, yet you realize
that there is nothing you can do or if there is you don't know what it is.
Thus "I am afraid that I don't know how to help"
If I take it a part and make three structures out of it I still don't
necessarily know how to put them back together.
How can I help - chay' jIQaH or forget ( chay' ) and
I help  - jIQaH
I don't know that - 'e' vISovbe'   <----- Yes for now I am going with
question in SAO
That bothers me, worries me etc.  <---------- ???????? got me