tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Oct 07 06:04:37 1996

Re: Klingon Symbol

>96-10-06 16:48:23 EDT, qrlIH:
>>  >military symbol)? The one with the three things... you know. :) >
>>  {DIlyum} = "trillium" TKD p.158  (coincidentally[?] the name of the
>>  provincial flower of Ontario)
>
>Errr . . . I was under the impression that trillium was a word used in a Star
>Trek episode.  On Organia, Spock poses as a dealer in "trillium and kevas."

Well, as the token botanist on the list :-), Trillium is a "spring
wildflower" (also the provincial flower of Ontario) that the klingon
symbol very much resembles in a stylistic sort of way.  [One stem,
3 leaves, 3 sepals, and 3 petals -- color varies]  The Trilliaceae
family (including Trillium and Paris) are being investigated as to
the possibly cancer fighting agents being present in the rhizome (root)
of the plant.  Perhaps the Trillium is a "sacred" plant to the Klingon
culture -- we know that various things are centered around 3.  The
organians knew this and that's why Spock was a dealer in Kevas and
Trillium -- things that would be valuable to Kor.

Shamrocks for Ireland, Trillium for the Klingon Empire.  :-)

tevram

Back to archive top level