tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jun 27 08:25:40 1996

Re: Criticism

>How can I respond to the question of intolerance?  I like to think that I
>try to
>be open to opposing views (Ken and I have exchanged some very lengthly letters
>during the last year or so), but like you, being mortal, I enter into
>discussions with a bias that I'm right.  So, while I am certainly not always
>persauded by someone's argument, I do believe that I go out of my way to hear
>that person's point of view and try to understand the merits of it. My
>position
>has always been that we cannot afford division of such a small community,
>and to
>try to compromise where possible to prevent such division.  Only the Klingon
>community itself can judge how well (or not) I've managed to do this.
>
>Lawrence

One of the marks of civil discourse is the ability to disagree without
feeling threatened.
The problem that occurs in teaching situations (and I think we'd agree that
the list is one)
is hierarchical. The teacher knows more than the student. This works fine
in a normal school
 where the roles are clearly defined, but may be problematical here where
the students
 are used to being the cognoscenti, so may be somewhat intolerant of correction.

Sogha' Qob vestai Hurric
wa'DIch IKV RakeHell
Klingon Assault Group

Back to archive top level