tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jun 13 04:30:03 1996

Re: "qua-khom"?

The name is pronounced as the English word "pock".  I had not yet read
the manual and seen the name written down.  In tlhIngan Hol I would
write it as {paq}.  When transcribing non-English words phonetically I
do not, in general, use English phonetics, so I wrote "Pak".  I
would have written "Pok" if it sounded like "poke".

In any case, Gowron is definitely not pronouncing a Klingon /Q/ in this
instance, but an English /qu/.  If forced to transcribe what he says in
Klingon, I would write {*qwaHom}.  So I figured that it was either a
mispronunciation or new evidence of a syllable-initial consonant
cluster, which seemed somewhat unlikely. :)