tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jun 12 21:58:59 1996

RE: "qua-khom"?

<<K'tulu chIjwI'   answers> >
>Gowron says "Qa'Hom" , but I don't think he would make a mistake in
>tlhIngan-Hol like that.
>Anyway the boy's name is "Pok", so it is possible that your universal
>translator is failing.

I fear that Gowron does indeed say Qua'Hom.  The problem with most spoken
Klingon is that while some is pronounced correctly, for the most part it is
quite bad.  The most notible of these was the Klingon commerical for Hallmark.
 I was able to get most of the translation until the mumbling started at the
end.

I have been racking my brain trying to interpret that anthem.  At least with
the Hallmark commercial I could use the English to get most of the slurs.

After many many repeats I'm no closer than after the first time I heard it.
Trying to match words to sounds was very difficult and then when I was sure I
recognized words they didn't make sense together.  I finally gave up with
this:

Qoy qeleS puqloD
Qoy puqbe'pu'
yapo mapo je SuvwI'