tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jun 12 16:17:33 1996

Re: "qua-khom"?

In a message dated 96-06-12 12:32:10 EDT, K'tulu chijwI' wrote:

[marqoS wrote]
>>During his opening monologue to the human about to play Pak in Star
>>Trek: Klingon, Gowron repeatedly uses a word that sounds like
>>"qua-khom" as some sort of pejorative.  Is this a mispronounced
>>{Qa'Hom}, or something else?

>bIlugh
>
>Gowron says "Qa'Hom" , but I don't think he would make a mistake in
>tlhIngan-Hol like that.
>Anyway the boy's name is "Pok", so it is possible that your universal
>translator is failing.

What has the name "Pok" got to do with it?  He is certainly mispronouncing
{Qa'Hom}.  From using both the Language Lab and the Immersion Studies, I get
the distinct impression that the Immersion Studies was filmed before Robert
O'Reilly's voice was recorded for the Language Lab.  If true, it would
explain why his pronounciation is so difficult to understand in the opening
to the Immersion Studies, and so good in the Language Lab (aside from the
fact that he has to say a lot more during the prologue to the Immersion
Studies).  Does anyone have any information on this?  Which was recorded
first?

SuStel
Stardate 96448.8

Back to archive top level