tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jun 13 04:35:48 1996

Re: Klingon prog language

> This is a _very_ interesting topic: What (high level) programming
> languages were/are the Klingons using? What's the syntax like?
> What are the commands?
>
> I think it would be great to have a prog lang that fits _EXACTLY_
> the way a Klingon thinks. Why don't develop something like this,
> just for the fun of it?

I agree. It sounds very interesting. Such a program would likely be
designed with  military applications in mind. Each computer program
has a function for which it is designed. COBOL, for example, is
designed for large batches of business data, whereas BASIC and PASCAL
are general-function teaching languages. C is designed to interface
with the operating system Unix, which is compiled in C. Prolog and
Lisp are used in AI research, and FORTRAN is used for formula
translation - a scientist's language, designed to handle complex numbers.

So this Klingon programming language (call it K), would very likely
have a lot of external calls and functions (calls to the BIOS, to
receive data from the sensors); be able to control devices, such as
targeting systems to handle the trajectories of photon torpedoes or
disruptors), and handle basic ship operations, such as engineering,
mailing (communications) and life support.

H'mm.

I'll let you know.

QojwI'

(reading for a BSc in Computer Studies)

"I am Chaos. I am the substance from which your artists and scientists build rhythms.
I am the spirit in which your children and clowns laugh in happy anarchy. I am Chaos.
I am alive, and I tell you that you are free." - The Goddess Eris, Principia Discordia.

Back to archive top level