tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jun 05 12:33:27 1996

RE: Re[3]: KLI Fonts

Is this so?  In my limited knowledge of Japanese, I know that "What is
it/that/etc?" translates to "nan deska?"--clearly not a yes/no question.
- From what I understand, Japanese "ka" *is* a spoken question mark, added to
*all* questions, not just yes/no questions, as opposed to Klingon -'a' or
Esperanto cxu, which are yes/no markers.

Or am I mistaken?

You're correct.  One of the first questions I learned while in long engineering meetings was;

  "Sumimasen. Senmenjo wa doko desu ka."
  Excuse me.  Where is the mens room?

Thank god they didn't just answer with; "Hi, so desu."

HetaQ

Back to archive top level