tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jun 05 13:14:07 1996

Re: suffix-o-mania

charghwI' writes:

& Robyn Stewart ([email protected]) wrote:
& > yIHHommeyna'wIjvo' HIchevnISQo'neS
& > jIDub'eghqanqqa'moHlaHbejtaHneSmo'
& >
& > What is the most intelligible nine-suffix sentence we can build?
&
& YOUR sentence is not exactly intelligible.

mu'tlheghwIjmo' jIDIvbej.

& The word order bothers me in that anything with {-mo'} works better
& at the beginning of a sentence than at the end.
& As a noun suffix, it is grammatically required,

I realize now that I must treat -mo' nouns like -Daq nouns. I was
treating them like subordinate clauses a la 6.2.2.  DaH yabwIj vIlIS.
[pause]
I thought I understood, but the next posting I looked at contained the
sentence: <Saghbe'taH QujwI'pu'mo' vIng SuStel.> I would have put the
-mo' on the verb instead. Please explain more about -mo'.

& Also {-neS} doesn't make sense applied to any verb other than the
& main verb in a sentence.

Ok. I thought it was merely disgustingly fawning.

& > wovwI'
& charghwI'
wovwI'

Back to archive top level