tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jun 05 12:08:22 1996

Re: Re[3]: KLI Fonts/Now RE: Japanese "ka"

> Is this so?  In my limited knowledge of Japanese, I know that "What is
> it/that/etc?" translates to "nan deska?"--clearly not a yes/no question.
> - From what I understand, Japanese "ka" *is* a spoken question mark,
added to
> *all* questions, not just yes/no questions, as opposed to Klingon -'a'
or
> Esperanto cxu, which are yes/no markers.
>
> Or am I mistaken?
>
> ~mark

No, you are not mistaken!

In Japanese, questions are formed by adding "ka."

Example:

What is this? / Kore wa nan desu ka?

An even clearer example is as follows:

Do you understand? / Wakarimasu ka?

I understand / Wakarimasu.

The only thing that makes "Wakarimasu" (understand) a question is the
addition of "ka." In printed Japanese, sometimes a "?" is added after
"ka," sometimes it is left off. It is really up to the writer's
discretion.

Qapla'

Back to archive top level