tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jun 05 22:45:15 1996

Re: Re[3]: KLI Fonts

>Is this so?  In my limited knowledge of Japanese, I know that "What is
>it/that/etc?" translates to "nan deska?"--clearly not a yes/no question.
>- From what I understand, Japanese "ka" *is* a spoken question mark, added
>*all* questions, not just yes/no questions, as opposed to Klingon -'a' or
>Esperanto cxu, which are yes/no markers.
>
>Or am I mistaken?
>
>~mark

You are correct in showing that the Japanese question particle -ka is not
limited to yes/no responses.  Please note that {nan} equates to the Klingon
{nuq}, a question word itself.

Other Japanese question words still have -ka on the verb.  Ikaga desuka or
Ikaga da-i in extremely informal situations (How are you?).  Dare desuka (Who
is it?)

peHruS

Back to archive top level