tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Aug 26 13:24:00 1996

RE:Khamlet vs Hamlet

> Because English does not have the sound which is represented by Klingon
> {H}, there is no letter or combination of letters associated with it. So,
> different combinations appear depending upon who the translator (or
> transliterator) is, what language is being transliterated, how much coffee
> the translator has had to drink recently, etc.

Which is why Okrand used different lanugages to give the proper
pronunciation of this letter on page 14 of the TKD. Bach (German),
l'chaim (Yiddish), baja (Spanish). Even in Russian, their letter
X is pronounced similarly. When it was spelled Khamlet, it infered
(to me at least) that it was being pronounced incorrectly, and thusly
misspelled. I find it odd that he would spell it as if you were reading
a pronunciation guide. Indeed if everyone started transliterating
tlhIngan Hol as Nick did when writing in English, there would be mass
confusion.

Back to archive top level