tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Aug 30 19:17:37 1996

Re: Khamlet vs Hamlet

> As you can see from above, I DID state that it was pronounced as ch in
> Bach. I was trying to say that Bach does not end in a Kh sound, but
> rather a soft H sound produced by raising the back of the tongue to
> the roof of the mouth and expelling air at the same time.

"Kh" is exactly this sound.  "Kh" does _not_ sound like in "Khan".

> What I was infering about this that perhaps if Nick Nicholas (who
> wrote an introduction to the Hamlet book) pronounces Bach with the
> final K sound, then I see where he gets the idea to spell it as Khamlet.

For what it's worth, I don't think that he would.  It's just a standard
transliteration. Okrand uses it himself.

> On pages xiii-xvi, he uses it constantly. Also I'm confused as to his
> spelling of Willam Shakespeare (Wil'yam Shex'pir)...where did this
> come from? wIl'yam SeQ'pIr perhaps?

I think it was wIlyam SeQpIr.  No consonant clusters, please.

> Where? The only Kh I found was Khitomer, and that is spelled with a
> tlhIngan Q. QI'tomer.

TKD, in mine it's on pages 170 thru 172, in the useful expressions section.
Take the _first) example, Yes = {HIja'} => khi-JA.

I'm suprised you hadn't noticed that.

> I see no evidence to support the tlhIngan H as being pronounced Kh.

CK and PK?

Qapla'
  / Daniel Peter Noll                     / [email protected]   /
 / Truth Seeker                          / http://mailhost.net/~fprefect /
/ batlhHa' vanglu'taHvIS quv chavbe'lu' / Finger for Geek Code          /

Back to archive top level