tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Aug 24 00:40:08 1996

Klingon computer vocabulary

Klingonists!

As most of you should be aware, the Klingon localisation project
(http://www.cd-info.com/KLT/index.html), intending to produce a
Klingon-language version of the Macintosh operating system, is proceeding full
swing, and welcomes Klingon language experts (hint hint; see the home page for
details on how to join the effort.)

We are now at the stage where we need vocabulary for computer terms. I strongly
feel that this is no task for just one person, and therefore am posting the
following list for discussion here. Note that, of course, the task of giving
Klingon renderings for things normally is pointless --- not much point, for
example, in a Klingon word for "crumpet". But in this project, as in Hamlet, I
think we really want to keep the conceit of pure-Klingon computers as much as
possible.

Note that I will be away in Queensland for a week; I therefore will not be
responding to all this immediately. (I also owe some follow-up email from
various items in this week's postings.) Please be voluminous and critical! I'm
not at all happy with most of these...

The terms, and my proposed renderings, follow. Note that I've taken a
militaristic approach to the desktop metaphor; I've asterisked the entries in
question. More neutral suggestions are welcome (particularly for 'file' and
'folder).

save                     pol
document                 ghItlh
page                     nav 'ay'
clipboard                *jolpa'
eject                    ghupHa'
disk (floppy)            qawHaqHom; qawHaq teqlu'bogh
disk (hard)              qawHaq; qawHaq ru'be'
RAM                      (De'wI') yab
desktop                  yaH
icon                     ('oSbogh) Degh
click (v)                *rIH
type (v)                 ghItlh
text                     mu' De'
graphics                 HaSta De'
file                     De' 'ay'; *De' mo'
folder                   De' buv; *De' bIghHa'
edit                     choH
cut                      teq
copy                     latlh chenmoH; chelqa'beH; chelqa'meH qaw
paste                    chel
clear                    (De') Qaw'
font                     pIqaD
bold                     ror
italic                   SIH
underline                bIng tlhegh
outline                  Dech tlhegh
shadow                   QIb
condensed                qev
extended                 qevHa'
version                  choH
button                   leQ
scroll                   HaSta tlhe'moH
window                   HaSta
monitor; display         jIH
untitled                 per Hutlh

--
NON ME TENENT VINCVLA NON ME TENET CLAVIS    STETIT PVELLA RVFA TVNICA SIQVIS
       Nick Nicholas      http://www.cs.mu.oz.au/~nsn   Linguistics

Back to archive top level