tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Aug 23 17:59:15 1996

cricket

> > 8.  Cricket, please.		DaH ghew yIQuj.
> > 	Play bug now (Klingon has no word for cricket the game; "ghew"
> > 	can mean "bug, "cootie" or "insect").
>
>   (1) What is a cootie? This is not a word we know of in England.

I believe it's an "Americanism" for "bug" or "insect" :)

thlingan maH

Hello group, i am DarthlmInyon joH' (i think?) anyway im really new to
the group and to thlingan-Hol. Please bear with me and ill learn as
quickly as possible.

I saw the above in the group today and wanted to set it straight for
all of you. The word "Cootie" is a slang term used to identify one of
two insect pests in the united states. If you are from the east coast
the "Cootie" probably refers to a common bug call a "chigger" or a
"red bug" which is actually a member of the arachnid family.This pest
burrows into the skin and lives off the blood of its host. Or if you
are from the west coast or anywhere for that matter in the united
states then the term "Cootie" often refers to an animal parasite
called "lice" which infests any part of the body covered by hair.

i hope this helps......
leghlaHchu'be'chugh mIn lo'laHbe' taj jej

Darkminion

TO REPLY: [email protected]
OR HTTP://WWW.ilinks.net/~darkminion/

Back to archive top level