tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Aug 26 03:43:00 1996

Re: Klingon computer vocabulary

Nick Nicholas wrote:

> RAM                      (De'wI') yab
How about {qawHaq ru'}?  Fits nicely with the {qawHaq ru'be'}
for HD.

> click (v)                *rIH
{yuv}, perhaps?

> file                     De' 'ay'; *De' mo'
> folder                   De' buv; *De' bIghHa'
The {mo'} and {bIghHa'} metaphor is colorful; I like it.  For
a less colorful set, perhaps {De'ghom} for "file" and {De'ghom ngaSwI'}
for "folder"?

> copy                    latlh chenmoH; chelqa'beH; chelqa'meH qaw
We're talking about the Mac Edit menu, qar'a'?  In that case the
best casting I see for "copy" is {qaw}.  If it were a command
to copy a file (or, say, inside the "Disk Copy" command
name), I could see one of the above translations, but
Edit->Copy just remembers something; it doesn't make an actual
copy until you use Edit->Paste.

Given the {jolpa'} translation for "clipboard", where all
of this copying/cutting goes to and pasting comes from,
perhaps {Qol} for cut, {jol} for paste, and {rIH} for
copy?

> font                     pIqaD
I don't like this.  I think it's pretty clear that {pIqaD}
is a proper noun, or at least a specific one, and not just a word
meaning "writing system".  How about {Deghghom}?

-marqoS

Back to archive top level