tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Aug 23 07:18:43 1996

Re: British Klingon! (Interview with Okrand)

> > 8.  Cricket, please.		DaH ghew yIQuj.
> > 	Play bug now (Klingon has no word for cricket the game; "ghew"
> > 	can mean "bug, "cootie" or "insect").
>
>   (1) What is a cootie? This is not a word we know of in England.

I believe it's an "Americanism" for "bug" or "insect" :)

>   (2) I am sorry to contradict the Great One, but I don't like this one. How
> much or little is the game of cricket played and known about in USA? There is
> no semantic connection and almost certainly no etymological connection between
> "cricket" the insect and "cricket" the game, any more than between "rook" the
> chessman and "rook" the bird, or "ash" the tree (Fraxinus spp) and "ash" =
> `unburnt residue of a fire'. Likelier for the game is {"qrIqIt"-vaD tera'
> Quj'e' ponglu'bogh} the first time, and after that {qrIqIt} or {qIrIqIt}.

Oh, how true! (see last post :) Although, given that "Cr" = kr => {Q},
{*QIq'et} or {*QIq'It} might be better transliterations (depending on
your pronunciation). Also, given that the game originated in Britain,
you can say {Cricket}vaD wo' tay' :) Forget that {tera'} nonsense :)

wo' tay'ngan jIH!

(Hmm...on that note, Part 2 of 'Klingon-American English' will be coming
soon :)

qSeroHS {Scot}'e'
--
Niall Hosking
aka Kserokhs Vaene

'Practise random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.'

Back to archive top level