tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Aug 23 07:08:09 1996

Re: {ghew} for cricket (PS)

> > And there are many cricket fans (players and watchers) in England who would
> > object strongly to their game being compared to activities of insects!

Well, sounds like an 'over-literal' translation of 'Cricket', taking the
insect-meaning, rather than the game. Interesting, given that Okrand was
happy to put "Di" as {Day}, he chose not to say something like
{*QIq'et}, instead choosing to literally translate the game's name,
which so far as I know, has *nothing* to do with 'crickets'.

BTW, some Scots like Cricket too, even if we don't have a national
team...

qSeroHS {Scot}'e'

[Should this be {qSeroHS wo' tay''e'}? :) ]
--
Niall Hosking
aka Kserokhs Vaene

'Practise random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.'

Back to archive top level