tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Aug 23 01:31:54 1996

Re: British Klingon! (Interview with Okrand)

  Niall Hosking <[email protected]> wrote:-

> 'Radio Times' ... published a special 168 page book ... [and] got Marc
> Okrand to translate a few *British* phrases for readers! So, here is some
> new canon tlhIngan Hol for the British! ...

> 8.  Cricket, please.		DaH ghew yIQuj.
> 	Play bug now (Klingon has no word for cricket the game; "ghew"
> 	can mean "bug, "cootie" or "insect").

  (1) What is a cootie? This is not a word we know of in England.
  (2) I am sorry to contradict the Great One, but I don't like this one. How
much or little is the game of cricket played and known about in USA? There is
no semantic connection and almost certainly no etymological connection between
"cricket" the insect and "cricket" the game, any more than between "rook" the
chessman and "rook" the bird, or "ash" the tree (Fraxinus spp) and "ash" =
`unburnt residue of a fire'. Likelier for the game is {"qrIqIt"-vaD tera'
Quj'e' ponglu'bogh} the first time, and after that {qrIqIt} or {qIrIqIt}.

Back to archive top level