tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Aug 14 22:15:26 1996

Re: Klingon-American :(

At 10:45 AM 8/14/96 -0700, Mark E. Shoulson wrote:
[...]
>>The problem I see with using veng'a' for large city is
>>that in other cases adding -'a' doesn't just mean "larger".  It changes the
>>meaning of the word to something different.  Like juH'a' meaning castle or
>>mansion, while juH means house.  juH'a' doesn't just mean a larger house.
>
>>Maybe veng'a' should mean county or state or province...
>
>No... You're contradicting yourself.  The defining feature of "veng" to me
>is that it's a collection of homes that in some sense work together and are
>known by a collective name, perhaps, etc.  Your definition seems to be
>based on the American legal definition of "township" which is nothing more
>than a plot of land.  A veng'a' need not be physically larger than a veng.
>Nor is a county or a province a city.  A county or province is perhaps a
>smaller version of a state or country (a wo'Hom??), since cities and
>counties seem to be qualitatively different, while counties and countries
>differ more in size and quantity.  A veng'a' is a "great city."  A city
>that's more city-like than most.  "Metropolis" might be a good translation
>for it.  It may be larger, it's probably more populous, likely more
>crowded, and almost certainly more important in some sense.

qaQochbe'chu'...  <veng'a'> mughlu'meH, "metropolis" nIv law' Hoch nIv puS.

--tQ

SKI:  I agree that veng'a' would be better thought of as a metropolis.

---
HoD trI'Qal, tlhIngan wo' Duj lIy So' ra'wI'
Captain T'rkal, Commander IKV Hidden Comet
Klingon speaker and net junkie!
HaghtaHbogh tlhIngan yIvoqQo'!  toH... qatlh HaghtaH Qanqor HoD???
monlI'bogh tlhInganbe' yIvoqQo'!  SoHvaD monlI' trI'Qal...

Back to archive top level