tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Aug 14 22:15:29 1996

Re: result of verb?

At 01:18 PM 8/14/96 -0700, Craig Altenburg wrote:
>At 3:54 PM -0400 8/14/96, JEFF ZEITLIN wrote:
>>  As a sort of exercise, I'm attempting to translate some random
>>  sections of random documents, and I have run into a problem
>>  _again_.  Quite likely it's due to the fact that matlh has not
>>  given us a _complete_ tlhIngan Hol grammar and vocabulary, but
>>  it's still annoying.
>>
>>  What I need is some way of indicating the product/result of a
>>  verb - for example "evaluate (v)" -> "evaluation (n)".  Using
>>  the -wI' suffix is clearly not correct; that would give me
>>  "evaluator (n)".
>>
>>  The context is approximately "I have examined the information
>>  you have provided; my evaluation is that...".
>
>How about:  ..... 'e' vIchov.

*whistles and applauds*

I was going to comment that Englishuses "to be" a LOT (I wasn't the first
person to observe this. :) ).  Consequently, if you are translating
something to tlhInga, and you find yourself struggling to nominalize a verb
to use it with some form of "to be", you would do better to re-cast your
sentence so the verb is used as a VERB.

Incidentally, the verb suffix you are looking for is -ghach, although using
it on a verb with no other suffixes is a "marked" form.  In other words, it
is going to sound very weird, even though it is grammatically correct.

I would also use Qeygh's suggestion of  ... 'e' vIchov, rather than
perverting it to some form of ... 'oH chovghachwIj'e' (it's shorter, too. :) )

--tQ

---
HoD trI'Qal, tlhIngan wo' Duj lIy So' ra'wI'
Captain T'rkal, Commander IKV Hidden Comet
Klingon speaker and net junkie!
HaghtaHbogh tlhIngan yIvoqQo'!  toH... qatlh HaghtaH Qanqor HoD???
monlI'bogh tlhInganbe' yIvoqQo'!  SoHvaD monlI' trI'Qal...

Back to archive top level