tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Aug 14 22:15:10 1996

Re: Klingon-American :(

At 02:12 AM 8/14/96 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

>>I noticed a while ago that American usage showed in the presence of
>>these two words from TKD:
>>
>>veng            city
>>vengHom         village
>>
>>Now, normally one has three graduations of settlement size..village,
>>town, city. So far as i can tell, Americans don't have towns...they seem
>>to call everything a 'city'
>
>>Niall Hosking
>
>Actually Americans *do* have "towns".  The term in its strict sense,
>however, doesn't mean a collection of houses and shops, etc. like a city or
>village.  It is a shortened version of "township", which is the unit of
>government for an area of approximately 36 square miles, six miles by six
>miles.  I believe that in most states, there is a minimum population
>requirement, but it must be quite small, because I know of a couple of
>townships with only four or five households scattered around in them. All
>incorporated communities, even as small as 50 or so people, have the title
>of city in a legal sense, while the term "village" is a thing of the past.

ghobe', bIQaghchu'.

qaStaHvIS wej DIS, "The Village of Ottawa Hills"Daq jIyIn.  yIntaH vavoywI'
be'nalDaj je.  "village"na' 'oH:  "Toledo"Daq SaHlaw', 'ach tlhabbej.  tlhab
DuSaQ.  "The Village of Ottawa Hills"Daq "taxes" DIl.  "map"meyDaq chevlu'.
'ej "community"na' 'oHba'.

vaj... "Village" Daleghpu'be'mo' SoH neH, pagh tu'lu' 'e' yIchovHa'Qo'!

--tQ, proud past-resident of a true American "village" :)

SKI (whatever Qov made it stand for :) )

trI'Qal is jumping on poor wIghbe', because s/he(?) assumed that there are
no more "villages" inthe USA, when she lived in one for 3 years.  (Written
in Klingon, 'cause it is waaaaay off-topic...)

---
HoD trI'Qal, tlhIngan wo' Duj lIy So' ra'wI'
Captain T'rkal, Commander IKV Hidden Comet
Klingon speaker and net junkie!
HaghtaHbogh tlhIngan yIvoqQo'!  toH... qatlh HaghtaH Qanqor HoD???
monlI'bogh tlhInganbe' yIvoqQo'!  SoHvaD monlI' trI'Qal...

Back to archive top level