tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Aug 15 18:07:02 1996

Re: Klingon-American :(

At 10:10 AM 15/8/96 -0700, ~mark wrote:

>Well, in another sense we are NOT changing it into something else.  It's
>still a city, just a... greater city.  It seems to behave, in most of the
>examples, like a fairly normal Terran augmentitive.  It may not be, but so
>far it seems to be.  There happens to be a separate word in English for a
>"veng'a'" (metropolis); there probably isn't one for "paq'a'."  That
>doesn't mean the concept doesn't exist, it just isn't lexicalized.

IMHO the strange thing about that is that {paqHom} could mean, novelet <sp?>

>metropolis isn't a "something else" from a city; it's a qualitatively
>augmented one.  Your distintion of "-'a'" vs "tIn" and "-Hom" vs "mach" is
>well-said and important; I think that's what you meant by "something else."
>After all, we know that "Duy'a'" is an ambassador while "Duy" is an agent
>or emissary... but I strongly doubt that this means that it's impossible to
>have a physically large agent or a physically small ambassador!

No, this would just be a definition of rank, but what would you then call
the differance between {HoD'a'} and {HoDHom}? Would it just be something
like the differance between comanding officer (with the rank captian) and
first officer (with the rank captain). Or would it be the same as the ranks
first lieutenant and second lieutenant???

>Or that
>slaves have to be bigger than ordinary servants (toy'wI''a'/toy'wI'),
>masters larger than bosses (pIn'a'/pIn), commandants have to tower over
>commanders (la''a'/la'), or cadets have to be puny next to soldiers
>(mangHom/mang).

Mmm,

Qapla'

beHwI"av