tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jun 18 09:52:27 1995

Re: bInep! Re: Beowulf

> Okay, we are getting off topic here But i what to put in a word.
>
> DO THE TRANSLATION!

  I'm working on it.  But it will take a while.

> You could well consider Beowulf the archtypicle Klingon warrior,
> a true follower of Kahless.
>
> Hrothgar and his men could well represent the unenlightened Klingon
> "warrior" who do not know of Kahless or who no longer are visited
> in thier dreams by Kahless.

  Is Hrothgar all that reprehensible to Klingon understanding.  The poem
hints at the destruction of the Great Hall Heorot when Hrothgar and his
nephew will engage in a power struggle with each other.  Consider the
reports we received from the homeworld concerning the recent war of
succession in the Great Council.  Didn't that come down to a power
struggle between the house of Mogh and the house of Kuras?  Not to
mention the dishonourable poisoning of the last leader of the Council,
and a deliberate attempt to cover up vital details of the attack on
Khitomer in the interests of those who held power.  Hrothgar is a great
leader, he holds power over all the lands the Danes have conquered and
should still be respected.  Only in the matter of Grendel is his honour
compromised.  His reckoning is coming, but it is not in the interests of
the poet.

>  David Barron
>  Klingon Language Postal Course
>  P.O. Box 37, Eagle ID 83616
>  It's FREE! Send Self-Addressed Stamped Envelope. Not available by E-mail!
>                      E-mail   [email protected]

tempting, but from where I'm typing from, that sounds like a lot of
postage!

--
 Life is short,                            [email protected]
 ...so am I.

Back to archive top level