tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jun 18 09:52:25 1995

Re: Beowulf

> I'd suggest
> {*Qotlhghar} for Hrothgar (cute too, since Qotlh = disable)

  That was my original attempt on this name too.

> {*ghenDel} for Grendel (we all know that in Old Klingon it was *GenDel)
> {*Den} for Denmark
> {*Dengan} for Dane

  I thought Dene for Danes, using the -e ending which in OE was used as
plural marking groups of people, ie, Engle 'English', Mierce 'Mercians'
and so forth.  But at this early stage it would be easy to change over
and use the names you suggest which are more in keeping with Klingon
practices, so *Dene would become *Denganpu'.

> {*ghe'et} for Geat
  'g' before a front vowel is pronounced as 'y' in OE, might I suggest
{*ye'et}?
  Two other names I would like to put forward are
{*SIlDingpu'} for Scyldingas
{*He'rot} for Heorot

> ... etc....  I gotta go find my old copy...  Finally something I'd be
> willing to translate.  (Put that Anglo Saxon to use finally!  :-)

  Beowulf seems to have struck a common note among members of this
group.  From thaere tungan wigendra to Hol Suvwi'.  taHjaj Be'wuv!

> David E G Sturm

Andrew

--
 Life is short,                            [email protected]
 ...so am I.

Back to archive top level