tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Feb 25 03:02:46 1995

Re: William Martin: <none>

William,

> > Anyway, I'm steadily going through the book, trying to learn this damn
> > thing, while I was making a few lists of things to learn, I noticed the noun
> > "bang" - which gives the meaning of one who is loved.
> > Does this mean that you can affectionatly call someone your "bang"?
>
> Exactly. It is usually phrased as {bangwI'}, as it was spoken
> in the third Star Trek Movie by Valkris when she said, {HI'ja',
> jawwI' bangwI' je.} "Yes, my lord, and my love."
Hmm, I should've noticed that in the film....

> > Also, am I right in thinking that
> > bangoypu' = means luvvies (from: Dame Edna Everage).
>
> I think you are on target. I think Krankor or ~mark would
> express it as "lovikins".
"lovikins" :D

> > Hmm, I don't know how the hell you lot managed to learn it so well, I mean,
> > I speak French and German quite good but Klingon - its totally illogical to
> > me. Oh well, I guess persistance is the key?? :/
>
> It was MEANT to be illogical, particularly when compared to
> European languages (or any other language that the average Star
> Trek viewer is likely to know about). The point is that it is
> supposed to be a langauge for ALIENS, right? Meanwhile,
> linguists here have complained that it is not weird enough.
Yeah I suppose..., I don't see how its not wierd enough, I mean look at the
Klingons at most other species in the quadrant, they are all quite similar
to humans so I see no reason why their language has to be so far out!

> > PS. Will someone tell me how pabpo'mey means gramarians? All I can figure
> >      is the  pab(grammer) part, po'(?  seems to be either a noun or a nous
> >      suffix but I can't find it in the dictionary) and I am presuming that
> >      mey still means general plural
>
> Hmmm. In my tattered, oldest copy of TKD, I had penciled in
> "also noun" after the verb {po'}, but when I looked it up in my
> personally compiled word list, where I annotate the source of
> every word I find, I see no such entry. Of course, I've updated
> that word list a lot since this printing...
>
> Anybody got a good answer to this?

> > PPS. If targh means the noun Targ - what type of thing IS Targ in the
> >      first place? yoDtargh - the shield's targ(????)
>
> A targ is the social equivalent to a dog. Add fangs, slime and
> an attitude and you have the ideal Klingon pet.
Is that like the thing Christopher Lloyd (Commander Kruge) had in ST 3

> > PPPPS. Does anyone know whats happened to the promised Klingon Encyclopedia
> >        or the Romulan Chrestomathy books?
>
> They were myths intended to make people leave Okrand alone when
> they wanted more words. "Can't do that now. Gotta work on the
> encyclopedia..." Something like that. They were jokes. He never
> intended to do either one of them.
Could be..

> > |                   |====\____________]  [_____________]
> > |   Lt.Cmdr. Karl Dyson   |            \ \      / /   ~
> > |[email protected]|==========/~~` `~~~~~~~|   Chief Science Officer
> > |_________________________|          ~~~~-_______-~      DEEP SPACE 13

Hmm, I wonder why theres always mistakes when anyone replies my sig back to
me...

>     __-,                               ___ _________
>  __(__)|___                    _______/   |________|
> `----------|_______________---/       `----_____|___
>  (      ___+-----------------<---------_____________-----_
>   `-----                      `-----------'      |  +---_/
>                  ____/__/___/_____
>                 |   ======        ||
>                 |_________________||
>
> You should join with the Klingons. Cooler ships. Otherwise, you
> might be unfortunate enough to see this view:
Heheh, actually, the Romulan Star Empire is interested in my possibly
defection, they're offering me Command of a Warbird so don't threaten me..

Besides, I couldn't draw any Klingon ships except the Bird of Prey and in
all truth I prefer the Enterprise-A design anyway - except for a few things.
I would really like a small ansi of a Warbird, then I could accept the
Romulan offer :)

>                       .-. _ .-.
>                      / /-'-`-\ \
>                 __.-(===========)-.__
>         ___.---'\     ( .. .. )     /`---.___
>        /.--------\_____`._O_.'_____/--------.\
>       /(                                     )\
>       \ \                                   / /
>        `'                                   `'
Ooooh scary!

> charghwI'
??

Thanx for helping me out,

Qapla'

Karl (Qarl????)

|   Lt.Cmdr. Karl Dyson   |            \ \      / /   ~
|[email protected]|==========/~~` `~~~~~~~|   Chief Science Officer

Back to archive top level