tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Feb 23 12:12:38 1995

Re: <none>

According to [email protected]:

> Erm....hello(?).
>
> I am very (very) new to the Klingon Language, even though I bought the tapes
> and the dictionary over four months ago,.

I had them over a year before comprehension set in. Give it
time.

> Anyway, I'm steadily going through the book, trying to learn this damn
> thing, while I was making a few lists of things to learn, I noticed the noun
> "bang" - which gives the meaning of one who is loved.
> Does this mean that you can affectionatly call someone your "bang"?

Exactly. It is usually phrased as {bangwI'}, as it was spoken
in the third Star Trek Movie by Valkris when she said, {HI'ja',
jawwI' bangwI' je.} "Yes, my lord, and my love."

> Also, am I right in thinking that
> bangoypu' = means luvvies (from: Dame Edna Everage).

I think you are on target. I think Krankor or ~mark would
express it as "lovikins".

> Hmm, I don't know how the hell you lot managed to learn it so well, I mean,
> I speak French and German quite good but Klingon - its totally illogical to
> me. Oh well, I guess persistance is the key?? :/

It was MEANT to be illogical, particularly when compared to
European languages (or any other language that the average Star
Trek viewer is likely to know about). The point is that it is
supposed to be a langauge for ALIENS, right? Meanwhile,
linguists here have complained that it is not weird enough.

> Qapla'
>
> Karl
>
> PS. Will someone tell me how pabpo'mey means gramarians? All I can figure
>      is the  pab(grammer) part, po'(?  seems to be either a noun or a nous
>      suffix but I can't find it in the dictionary) and I am presuming that
>      mey still means general plural

Hmmm. In my tattered, oldest copy of TKD, I had penciled in
"also noun" after the verb {po'}, but when I looked it up in my
personally compiled word list, where I annotate the source of
every word I find, I see no such entry. Of course, I've updated
that word list a lot since this printing...

Anybody got a good answer to this?

> PPS. If targh means the noun Targ - what type of thing IS Targ in the
>      first place? yoDtargh - the shield's targ(????)

A targ is the social equivalent to a dog. Add fangs, slime and
an attitude and you have the ideal Klingon pet.

> PPPS. Sorry if this is a bit basic for you :)
> PPPPS. Does anyone know whats happened to the promised Klingon Encyclopedia
>        or the Romulan Chrestomathy books?

They were myths intended to make people leave Okrand alone when
they wanted more words. "Can't do that now. Gotta work on the
encyclopedia..." Something like that. They were jokes. He never
intended to do either one of them.

>  _________________________     _____________    _____-~-_____
> |	                  |====\____________]  [_____________]
> |   Lt.Cmdr. Karl Dyson   |            \ \      / /   ~
> |[email protected]|==========/~~` `~~~~~~~|   Chief Science Officer
> |_________________________|          ~~~~-_______-~      DEEP SPACE 13

    __-,                               ___ _________
 __(__)|___                    _______/   |________|
`----------|_______________---/       `----_____|___
 (      ___+-----------------<---------_____________-----_
  `-----                      `-----------'      |  +---_/
					    ____/__/___/_____
					   |   ======        ||
					   |_________________||

You should join with the Klingons. Cooler ships. Otherwise, you
might be unfortunate enough to see this view:

                      .-. _ .-.
                     / /-'-`-\ \
                __.-(===========)-.__
charghwI'