tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Feb 21 10:04:13 1995

Re: Looking for Nick Nicholas

On Tue, 21 Feb 1995, Richard Kennaway wrote:

> Does anyone know the current email address of Nick Nicholas?
> [email protected] no longer works.
>
> ObHol:  A local student magazine wants his permission to reproduce his
> translation of Sonnet 18.  Can anyone suggest a better translation of the
> name "Bucket of Tongues" than "nujpu' ngaSwi'"?

for starters, its <nujpu' ngaSwI'>.  "i" is not a letter in <tlhIngan
Hol>, but "I" is.

your phrase is literally "Container of Mouths", although the <-pu'>
suffix on <nuj> is incorrect.  should be <-Du'>, the plural for body
parts, assuming that's the kind of mouth you're referring to.  (if the
mouth is sentient and can speak to you on its own, however, you're using
the right one.  i don't presume to know everything... *grin*)

so, if you wish to keep that vocabulary, it would be:

<nujDu' ngaSwI'>.

however, there is a word for 'tongue'; its <jat>.  this is the "*bodypart*"
'tongue', not the "synonym-for-language-or-dialect" 'tongue'.  if you mean
the "synonym-for-language-or-dialect" 'tongue', use <Hol>.

assuming you do indeed mean the bodypart tongue, you'll want something like

<jatDu' ngaSwI'>.

if you want the "synonym-for-language-or-dialect" tongue, you'll want to use
something else.  in this case, the english is idiomatic and really does NOT
translate well into Klingon.  (my opinion only; others may not agree.)

hope that helps.

> \X/ Richard Kennaway, [email protected], http://www.sys.uea.ac.uk/~jrk/
>     School of Information Systems, Univ. of East Anglia, Norwich

--naQ'avwI'

tlhIngan Hol Dajatlhchugh "[email protected]"Daq jabbI'IDmeylIj yIngeH
*&* Silauren, Half-Elven      *&* Jeremy  Greene *&*   There's only ONE god!
*&* [email protected]     *&*  Don't drop acid.  *&* He is the SUN god!!
*&* [email protected]       *&* Take it Pass/Fail. *&* Ra! Ra!! RA!!!
*&* "Get in there, you big furry oaf! I don't care what you smell!" -Han Solo

Back to archive top level